Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lasting Impressions - Stan Lynde

Something I did today just to smell the roses.



Some things we see stay with us a lifetime. So it is with Stan Lynde’s comic strip titled Rick O’Shay. I think there is something profound waiting for all of us somewhere in our lives. It’s not just one thing but many and we just miss it. I went looking on the Internet for Rick O’Shay and Hipshot Percussion and found them at Old Montana dot Com.



Not only did I find Rick, Hipshot but I rediscovered their creator Stan Lynde and asked permission to show a bit of his work in my blog. I received a very nice permission w-mail and a brief history of his work.

"Dear Paul,

I left RICK O'SHAY back in 1977 when contract negotiations with the newspaper syndicate that owns the strip broke down. After that, I created and produced a second syndicated strip, LATIGO, until 1983. In 1996 I published my first western novel, THE BODACIOUS KID, and have since that time written western fiction full-time. I just published my seventh, VENDETTA CANYON.

You can find the RICK O'SHAY Easter page you're looking for at my website, www.oldmontana.com. You may, on a one-time basis only, download the page for your blog. Just click on "PRINTS" and scroll down to "EASTER."

As you'll note, we offer that page as a signed and numbered limited edition print. Price is $150 plus $25 shipping and handling. That, and the Christmas "Happy Birthday, Boss" page are the two most popular prints we sell.

Best wishes for the holidays,

Stan Lynde"


The thing that struck me about Stan is that he is, like his work, a very good person who gives care and attention to those he communicates his thoughts. I’d suggest you visit his page mentioned above and maybe look up his books if you enjoy reading. As for myself I am happy to know his “Easter” strip is available to purchase and will start saving in hopes I can send out for is some day in the future. Leaving that one beautiful comic strip to one of my sons will be like leaving the better part of me.

Thanks Stan for your kind reply.

No comments: